Self proclaimed paedophile hunter arrested, charged with assault and revealing identity of person charged with sexual offence

A SELF-PROCLAIMED “paedophile hunter” who has led SA Police to two alleged child sex predators in the past week has himself been charged with criminal offences relating to the sting operations.

The 42-year-old man, who came to public attention through online videos of him performing “citizen’s arrests” on two alleged child sex offenders, was on Friday questioned by police before being charged with four offences.

The man is now facing charges of aggravated assault, two counts of using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence, and one count of publishing the identity of a person charged with a sexual offence.

 

 

The online campaigner posted online videos of two impromptu stings on alleged paedophiles who agreed to meet with him after he posted a profile on an internet site pretending to be a teenage boy.

He did not conceal the identity of the men he targeted in the videos — state law bans the publication of the identity of people charged with a sexual offence until they either plead guilty or are committed to stand trial.

During the first sting, he at one point grabs the alleged paedophile’s shirt as he undertakes a citizen’s arrest.

The man, from Adelaide’s western suburbs, has been granted police bail and will face Adelaide Magistrates Court in February.

Following the first sting operation the vigilante said he did not “mete out my own type of punishment” and stressed he wanted police to conduct their own investigations.

The father of one said he embarked on the sting because he had been abused as a teenager and wanted to expose sex offenders.

However, police raised concerns about videos being posted online and the “risk these may further create to all parties involved”.

The officer in charge of the Sturt CIB, Detective Chief Inspector Wayne Overmeyer, said people who took the law into their own hands could “expose themselves to facing criminal charges”.

 “Let us do our job,” he said in a statement.

“Don’t take the law into your own hands in relation to any criminal matter. If you have information, or suspect that a criminal act has taken place — contact the police.

“Anyone who believes they have evidence of criminal behaviour should call police, not create a confrontation which, in turn, could create a risk to personal safety.”

 

Dale Bothe

AusRealNews.com.au editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger